Former Liverpool player says Jurgen Klopp helped him at 'lowest point of his life' in emotional message to manager

  Jurgen Klopp took charge of his final game as Liverpool manager on Sunday.

A former Liverpool player has thanked Jurgen Klopp for helping him at "the lowest point" of his life.

Many have paid tribute to the German manager after he said an emotional farewell following the club's final day of the season clash against Wolves.

The 56-year-old surprised world football in January when he announced his decision to step down as Liverpool boss at the end of the 2023/24 season.

He attributed his decision to “running out of energy” after a memorable nine-year spell featuring Premier League, Champions League and Carabao Cup wins.

Speaking to the Liverpool fans after Sunday's 2-0 win, he opened up about his exit.

"It doesn't feel like an end, just feels like a start. I saw a team full of creativity, desire," he said. "Since a few weeks I have had too much attention, but in this time I realised a lot of things.

"People told me I turned you from doubter to believe, that's not true. Believing is what you do yourself, you did it. Nobody tells you to stop believing, this club is in a better moment than for a long time.

"We decide if we're worried or excited. We decide if you believe or don't believe, trust or don't trust. Since today I am one of you and I believe in you."

After the full-time whistle, a number Liverpool players, past and present, paid tribute to the departing Klopp, including Croatian centre-back Dejan Lovren.

Lovren, who joined the Reds from Southampton in 2014 for £20 million, would lift the Champions League and Premier League before leaving in the summer of 2020.

He paid an emotional tribute to his former boss on X, formerly Twitter.

"You showed me the way how to get up when everyone beats you up," he wrote.

"You showed me the way when nobody is believing in you, how to believe in yourself.

"You showed me the way how to be a man in difficult times.

"You showed me the way how to respect and love each other in thought moments.

"You are the one who was with me in my lowest point of my life. You listened and you told me some things which I will never forget.

"DANKE BOSS. Wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart."

Here's how fans on social media reacted to Lovren's statement.

One said: "Honestly it a rare quality to be the type of person that brings out the best in others, hyping them up and seeing the potential they have why they don’t themselves, and that’s not just in a footballing sense."

A second wrote: "Don’t think I appreciated his man management abilities. He was like a father to so many players," while a third commented: "Klopp was more than trophies. He changed people's lives."

A fourth added: "Beautiful tribute to a special man."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post